PLY Away 2016 was a resounding success and we’re already hard at work planning 2017 and 2018!
To that end, proposals for classes at PLY Away 2017 are now being actively sought and accepted! Official dates coming in the next few weeks but expect it to sit at almost the exact same calendar week (mid-late April).
We plan on starting on Tuesday and going until Saturday so that everyone can save Sunday for traveling. We are looking for 3-day classes, 2-day classes, 1-day classes, and a few half day classes. Proposals should be sent to email@example.com and will be accepted until July 1st. Decisions will be made by the end of July.
The PLY Magazine issues that will be the focus of PLY Away 2017 are: Fine, Texture, Singles, and Cotton but don’t let those limit you – let them inspire you. The topics are just the jumping off points!
We’d love to see proposals on Spinning for Lace, Fine wools, Breeds that are good/bad for fine spinning, Spinning from the lock, How to transition from thick to thin, how to spin thin using different drafts, How to adjust wheels for different spinning, Spinning around the post, Weaving with fine yarns, weaving with textured yarns, weaving with singles, weaving with cotton, Fiber prep for fine, fiber prep for texture, fiber prep for cotton, corespinning, add-ins, texture through plying, texture in singles, spindle classes for fine, spindle classes for texture, fibers for singles spinning, energized singles, weaving with energized singles, when does yarn bias?, using color for singles or using color in textured yarns, spinning cotton on a wheel, spinning cotton on spindles, natural dyeing, charkhas, sprang, preparing cotton, blending cotton and the list goes on and on!
This is not an exhaustive list, just a list of examples to illustrate that there are far more options that just fine, texture, singles, and cotton. We want fun, inventive, interesting classes for different levels of spinners!
I also think it’s important to offer 1 or 2 basic skill improving classes for those new to spinning or looking to increase their basic spinning skills, so if that’s your forte, please don’t feel limited by the topics!
If you’d like to submit a class proposals please do so by July 1st and include the following:
- Working title for the class
- True description of the class and length (3-day, 2-day, 1-day, 3-hour)
- your bio
- materials fee, if you’re not sure, please give an estimation.
- Supplies that spinners need to bring to class. Please remember that our spinners are traveling so the lighter this load can be, the better. We found that some of what spinners brought to PLY Away 2016 was not used in class so please make sure your spinners will need something before adding it to the list.
- Any special needs, equipment, or classroom requirements that you’ll need PLY to provide.
- Where you’ll be traveling from.
- If we’ve never worked with you before, please list a couple of times and places you’ve taught spinning.
- If you would like a half day off in your teaching schedule.
- Any special circumstances you’d like us to know about.